Monday 20 May 2013

That's oh so Vogue!


Well, that’s it!  My three weeks at Vogue magazine are well and truly over.  I’m home and no longer get to feel on a daily basis that I have my dream job.  Sob!  My time in London went far too fast and before I knew it I was boarding the train back to Sunderland.  As the old saying goes...times flies when you’re having fun!  Oh and didn’t I have lots of that!

I initially posted about my experience during my first week and you can read about the sort of things I got up too here.  Since then, my time became more and more enjoyable as I began to properly settle in.  After working in the city for a few weeks, I discovered it’s not as scary as it initially might feel.  You soon get to know all of the ‘tricks of the tube‘ and start walking just as quick as the other commuters trying to get to work.  If you’re thinking about making the move to London or even just visiting short term like me, don’t be put off by the pace of city life.  Trust me, you get used to the honking horns and sirens and it does start to feel like home.

Vogue House, the glorious looking building in which most Conde Nast publications are housed, also began to feel less alien and more like any other regular office.  Faces become familiar and I eventually got my bearings and learnt where everything was i.e. the all important mini-cafe on the third floor for when I needed my afternoon Diet Coke fix.  I soon became really at ease and started to feel like this was my new day job. Of course in the back of my mind I always knew that this was only temporary and that I would soon have to return home but it’s nice to feel like I’ve had the perfect job if only for a short while.

Working on the beauty desk, I got to do some pretty cool things.  My regular blog readers will know that I am obsessed with all things beauty so having my job based around that obsession was so exciting for me.  I spent my days researching interesting new beauty stories and developments as well as reading endless blogs.  I felt like I was in heaven.  I assisted the beauty girls with anything they’d need such as calling in products and speaking with PRs and I learnt so much along the way.  My highlight of my time at Vogue was having the chance to take home and review The O by Cloud 9.  This is a hair tool that I’ve lusted after for years and when it came into the office I literally squealed with excitement.  I tried it out and wrote a review for the Vogue blog and it actually made it onto the website.  I was completely overjoyed!  My writing, and my face, published on Vogue’s website.  Dream.  Come.  True.  You can find my article online here or on my bedroom wall after I print it and frame it!  Hah!

Looking back now it all seems a little surreal.  I’m currently in bed at home after getting in from a late shift at my regular day job.  Don’t get me wrong, this is another job that I do love despite being worlds apart from what I was doing at Vogue but after the excitement of the last three weeks, it was a pretty bleak Monday.  I’m remaining positive however as I know negativity gets you nowhere.  I’m focusing on my next career steps and looking at what I can do next on my quest for ‘the dream job’.  I also feel super inspired about blogging at the moment and have a load of new goodies and treats to show and review for you all so expect a lot of beauty posts coming very soon.

GC.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...